Volterra Public VIPs
This document explains the various types of Virtual IP(VIP) addresses that are available in the system for customers based on their subscription plans. The VIPs are public/internet IP addresses that are used while configuring HTTP/TCP load balancers/proxies to expose your public websites, APIs, or other publicly accessible services.
There are 3 types of VIPs available in Volterra:
- Shared VIP - If your account is on a Free, Individual, or Teams plan, then your default Virtual IP (VIP) is assigned from a shared resource known as a "Shared VIP". Shared VIP is currently limited to the ports listed in the Ports for Shared VIPs section. You do not have control over Shared VIP assignment and is handled entirely by Volterra.
- Dedicated VIP - If your account is on an Organization plan, then your tenant is assigned one "Dedicated VIP" as part of the plan. This will be the default VIP (also known as Tenant VIP) for all your load balancer/proxy configurations. The dedicated VIP can be used as per your choice. However, the dedicated IP may be changed by Volterra at any time. Therefore, it is recommended that you use CNAMEs while configuring an external DNS provider and not use this dedicated IP address. If you are delegating a domain to Volterra, then Volterra uses this dedicated VIP for your DNS entries.
- Public IP - In addition, if your account is on a Teams or Organization plan, you may also request additional (one or more) "Public IP" address through VoltConsole. You can select any of your Public IP addresses while configuring any of the services in Volterra. The advertisement of the "Public IP" may be restricted to a subset of Volterra Global Network Sites (i.e., Regional Edges) or across all Volterra Global Network Sites.
The following table presents a summary view of the default VIP allocations for various types of plans:
|Plan||Default VIP||Additional VIP|
|Teams||Shared VIP||Public IP on Request|
|Organization||Dediated VIP||Public IP on Request|
Obtain and Advertise on Public IP
Perform the following in VoltConsole to obtain public IP:
- Navigate to
Public IP Addressesin the
Add Public IPto raise a support request for obtaining public IP.
- Fill in the required fields and click
- Once you obtain the public IP, change to your application namespace and navigate to
HTTP Load Balancer.
Editfor your load balancer. Go to
VIP Configurationsection and enable
Show Advanced Fields.
Advertise On Internet(Specified VIP)for the
Where to Advertise the VIPfield and select the public IP from the options of the
Save and Exit.
Ports for Shared VIPs
This chapter lists out the allowed ports for the HTTP and HTTPS connections to the shared VIPs. For reference information on the public IP addresses of Volterra network cloud, see Proxy Reference.
The following list of ports are supported for establishing HTTP connection to shared VIPs:
The following list of ports are supported for establishing HTTPS connection to shared VIPs: